So I've officially counseled 4 patients this week! While each patient came in for the same reason, increased screening risk for Down Syndrome, each patient was unique and challenging in their own way. One patient kept looking at my supervisor while I was speaking, but would look at me while my supervisor was speaking (this of course was right after my supervisor mentioned how great it was that the patients really seemed to be paying attention to me and forgetting that she was there!), so that was interesting to try and figure out if the patient was really believing what I was saying or not. Because I do introduce myself as a counseling intern it's always a toss up whether the patient is going to immediately dismiss me or not. So far they've all at least let me explain their results to them without needing to hear it from my supervisor.
I'm still learning the correct hospital protocols etc, so my supervisor still needs to add in information every once in awhile, but I was able to counsel 3 patients in a row today so each time I was able to incorporate more information in. Of course, then I get thrown completely for a loop when they ask me a question related to pregnancy that isn't directly related to their screening or any potential testing and I have no idea what the answer is! I know that we too are viewed, like doctors, as experts in all things pregnancy by the patients, but having so little experience is a little exasperating.
I've had the opportunity to observe some very challenging cases and get to see some "good news" results given as well. I can't believe that my second week is almost over! Time seems to be flying by quickly.
No interesting sightseeing reports except the other night I looked out my bedroom window (I'm on the third floor) and saw a fox trotting down the sidewalk! We're not too far away from the Thames with a large green wild area across the river so maybe that's where he was going, but it was unexpected to see one in the middle of the city!
I'm off to Brighton tomorrow for the weekend to visit Ben. Hopefully I'll have some more photos to post soon!
Love to everyone!
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Very cool Christy! Sounds like your first baby steps out into the counseling world are going great, keep it up! -Vicki Boehm, MSW, ACSW
Post a Comment